Knowing what to look for, which types to choose, and a host of other factors go into choosing among the best base ham radio. There’s good news, though: This guide will explain it all. If you're still here because you need a suitable option, we have a decent selection that should cater to every taste and budget, so read on to find which of the base ham radio will be the best choice for you.
The reasons why you should trust us
You can trust us because we are not just another review site. We are a team of tech enthusiasts and experts who have spent months researching the best products on the market. We factor this into our overall star rating for each product and our final verdict on whether or not we recommend it.
Our rating metrics include the following:
- Build material
- Ease of use
- Price-to-value ratio
- Customer reviews
Best base ham radio: Our 10 Choices
- Same as LINCOLN II but 12 meter band added, key "CH19/9" replaced by "Emergency Channel 1 and 2" programmable by user; HF output power 35W PEP SSB instead of 31W PEP SSB, 35W FM instead of 28W; AM is same 12W RMS 48WPEP.
- Dual watch; Key locking; SWR (Power Reading/SWR); Preset emergency (EMG 1/2); TOT (Time Out Timer) adjustable.
- VFO Mode w/ continuous scanning; Multi-functions LCD display; Frequencies display; S-meter; Channels and memories scan; 6 Memories; CTCSS (38 tones); DCS (104 codes).
- Rotary switch and Up/down channel selector; Volume adjustment and ON/OFF; Manual squelch and ASC; RF Power; MENU function key; Dim; Mode switch AM/FM/LSB/USB/CW.
- Public Address; Vox function (hands-free); ANL filter, NB and HI-CUT; RF Gain / Mic gain; Clarifier; Roger Beep; Front microphone plug; External loudspeaker jack.
- ★★ Features: V/V, U/U, V/U Simultaneous Receive, V+U Cross-Band Repeater, Full Dual Display and Receive, High/Mid1/Mid2/Low Power Setting, Wide/Mid/Narrow Bandwidth Selectable, CTCSS/DCS, DTMF, 2 Tone & 5 Tone, Voice Compander & Scrambler, Remote Detachable Faceplate, 809 Alphanumeric Memory Channels, SQL, Scan, TOT, Full Direct Entry Keypad Mic.
- ★★ Frequency: TX: 28-29.7/50-54/144-148/420-450MHz, RX: 26-33/47-54/108-180/320-512/750-950MHz (P.S. AM mode selectable on VHF receive frequencies for Air Band reception), Output Power VHF: 50/20/10/5W UHF: 35/20/10/5W.
- ★★ One Proven Model, Lots of USERS or TURORIALS on Youtube, Google, Facebook Group. PLEASE CONTACT US AT ANY TIME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS. WE WILL RESPONSE YOU WITHIN 24 HOURS.
- ★★ Free Programming Cable & Software DISC Included (P.S. Driver Installation NEEDED, Factory Software Download from DISC or TYT Official Website), CHIRP Software Supported (Model TYT TH-9800) for easier programming; Pair with 4 Bands antenna (Single SO-259s Connector); Operating Voltage: 13.8V (NO 24V).
- ★★ Welcome to VMUKSAN, The Latest Plus Version of TYT TH-9800D, 50W/40W Full Quad Band Dual Display FM Amateur Mobile Radio/Transceiver, A MUST HAVE For all HAMs, FUN & GREAT VALUE as BASE STATION. Size: 5.5 x 1.6 x 6.6", Weight: 2.65 lbs. Package Content: TYT TH-9800D, Mic Hanger, Power Cable, Mounting Bracket & Screws, User Manual, Programming Cable & Factory Disc.
- II.▲▲☞FONGHOO☜▲▲ Official Distributor of QYT. Inner Cooling Fan, Large LCD Display Design, Easy to use, with free program cables.
- III.Nice, Solid & Compact Unit, Functional, Programmable & Reliable, Durable Base Station; BIG BANG for your bucks, Great Starter for new hand.
- [LEGALLY USE]▲▲ Per FCC Guidelines: Operation of an amateur station requires an amateur operator license grant from the FCC. It is ILLEGAL to UNLOCK the radio without permission.
- IV.Features: Dual Band, Quad Standby, Quad Watch, External Speaker Jacket, Mobile Radio Size: 5.5*6.8*1.7in, Weight: about 2.27lb.
- I.FCC Certified Amateur Radio: This Mobile Radio comply with Part 15B + Part 97 (FCC ID: 2AV62KT-980PLUS). Frequency: TX: VHF:144-148/ UHF: 420-450MHz, RX: VHF:136-174/ UHF: 400-480MHz. Pleasa use the ham radio legally.
- What Makes the UV-50X2 Unique? -- Dual Synchronize Display Mode, Mic Audio Gain Settings, In depth user's guide, Auto Power Off Function, Channel Mode Editing Settings, Auto Scan, Scanning Resume, and Variable Frequency Scanning, Quad Watch Delay Time, Randomization Privacy Mode - Builds upon previous generation UV-5001
- The UV-50X2 operates as multiple radios in one, with either 144 MHz or 430 MHz as the "Main" TX/RX band, while simultaneously watching up to 3 other frequencies or channels; and, if you like, you can configure your UV-50X2 for simultaneous VHF-VHF or UHF-UHF operation, too!
- Kit Includes: BTECH UV-50X2, Speaker Mic, DC Cable, Radio & Mic Brackets, Mounting Hardware, and User Guide
- Recommended Accessories: Pair UV-50X2 with the Nagoya UT-72 Magnetic Mount Antenna for easy installation. The PC04 FTDI Cable is recommended for easy computer programming
- High / Low Power Settings (50W/10W); Frequency Range: VHF: 144-148 MHz(Rx/Tx). UHF: 420-450 MHz(Rx/Tx); Broad (Wide) / Narrowband (Narrow) Selectable
- Support VHF UHF dual band radio antenna; you can communicate freely on 144/430MHz; SL16 connector
- High quality glass steel and high strength alloy connector
- Real 7.2 dBi gain wide bandwidth and low swr; gives you clearer and more stable communication even in remote locations
- Three alloy sub-antenna two-stage antenna design; bring you a more stable signal; lighter weight you can easily install and raise it
- Effective protect oscillator against strong winds and thunderstorm
- High gain benefit,great‘front to back’ratio;Strong directionality.
- The body of the Yagi Antenna makes it highly resilient to outdoor use. Strong wind resistance,Rated wind velocity 60 m/s.Securely attached to the mounting surface with the U-Bracket.
- Yagi Antenna Widely used in various directional divice:For Baofeng Motorola Yaesu Kenwood amateur 2 Way Radio;GMRS Repeater Systems;police scanner;433mhz radio system;data radio;satellite work,ISS (international Space Station)contact;Digital Radio.
- [Directional YAGI antenna]Frequency:144/430MHZ(136-174MHZ/400-470MHz); Gain:9.5/11.5dBi; Maximum Power Input-watts:100W; VSWR:less than 1.5; Impedance:50Ω
- 3 Sections,8 Elements; Weight:0.75Kg; Size:925×1045×60 mm; Rated wind velocity 60 m/s
- Improved receiver design for increased sensitivity and image rejections. Receiver clarifier ( plus/minus 0.5kHz).
- 10 and 12 meter bands. 16 programmable/erasable frequencies. Programmable repeater split.
- Variable output power control. Noise blanker/ANL circuitry. Frequency selector lockout.
- Large frequency display with dimmer. New backlit display. Dual panel meters.
- Double FET balanced mixer for improved receiver intermodulation rejection. Active frequency scanner. Continuous duty built-in AC power supply.
- Stainless steel radiating element,strong impact resistance,corrosion resistant,waterproof,good environmental adaptability
- For indoor and outdoor use,fit Vehicle, Car, Truck, SUV, RV, etc.
- [MECHANICAL SPECIFICATIONS]Height: 490±5 mm; Termination: PL259(SL16-male); Weight: 650g; Diameter of Mag Base: Ø90mm(3.5inch); Suction:14KG(About 30.8lb); Cable length/Type: 4m/RG-58
- [ELECTRICAL SPECIFICATIONS]Frequency range: 144/430MHz(VHF 136-174MHZ,UHF 400-470MHZ); Impedance: 50Ω; VSWR:＜1.5; Gain: 2.15dBi(144MHz),3.5dBi(430MHz); Maximum Power Input-watts: 50W
- Heavy duty magnetic base,powerful enough to stay on the vehicle roof at any speed,covered by a rubber pad,no roof damage; detachable design,easy to operate and install(Requires Metal Ground Plane)
- Work for BaoFeng, Kenwood, ICOM, YAESU, TYT, Retevis, Motorola, Vertex Standard, HYT, Hytera, Uniden, Cobra, President, Midland, Wilson VHF handheld radios and mobile radios, radio scanners,repeaters,Marine VHF Radio,etc.
- Frequency:136-174mhz; Connector:SO239/UHF Female/SL16-Female; Gain:2.5dBi; Max power:100W
- Length:17inch; Material:Fiberglass(Strong, durable and waterproof)
- Easy to install;Provides stable signal;good for your indoor and outdoor work.
- Package include:1*VHF Fiberglass Mobile Antenna ; 1*Antenna Mount Bracket
- Antenna mount connector: PL-259; Extension cable Connector:PL-259 UHF Male
- Works for ham radio / cb radio with uhf connection: Baofeng GMRS-50X1, UV-50X3, UV-50X2, UV‐25X4, UV‐25X2, etc
- Extension Cable:RG58, 5 meters /16.4 feet in length | Antenna height: 90mm/3.54" (does not include base)
- UHF VHF two way ham radio antenna; Operating Frequency - VHF:136-174MHZ; UHF:400-470MHZ
- Magnetic mount base provide great convenience; Package includes: 1x UHF VHF antenna, 1x Magnetic base
Buying base ham radio: Things to Consider
When looking for a new base ham radio, knowing which one will suit you best can be difficult. But if you consider a few things before making your purchase, it's much easier to narrow down your choices and make an informed decision about what's right for you.
There are many things to consider before you buy a base ham radio. You want to make sure that it's going to work for your needs, that it's affordable and that it's something you can use with ease.
Here are some things to keep in mind before buying a new product:
- What is the purpose? This may seem like an obvious question, but people often forget about it as they get caught up in the excitement of a new base ham radio. If you're looking for an item that will best suit your needs, then don't buy a product that does nothing but entertain you.
- What are other people saying about it? It's always best to check out reviews online before making any purchases so that you know what other people think about base ham radio and whether or not they would recommend them. This can help give you an idea if something is worth buying or not before you spend money on a product that won't work out for you at all!
- Is it something I'm going to use often? If there's any question about whether or not you'll use something often enough for it to be worth buying, then wait until later when you're sure how much time, effort, and money.
The following are some more things in detail you should consider before you buy:
The first thing to look at is the features of the base ham radio. You should check out if it has all the features that you need. It is not worth the money if it doesn't have any needed features. So check out all these features before buying base ham radio.
Features can be divided into two categories: core features and secondary features. Core features are the main characteristics of a product, whereas secondary features are additional or extra characteristics that make a product better than others.
Quality refers to how well-made the base ham radio is and how long it will last before breaking down or malfunctioning. To determine this, check out online reviews by other users who have bought the same item as yours and see whether they're satisfied with their purchase or not. If there are many negative reviews about a base ham radio or brand, then stay away from them because they're probably not worth buying at all!
Before buying it, you should always consider how much money you will spend on your new best base ham radio. In addition to this, you should also consider what features the product has and whether they will be beneficial for both you and your pet or not. Sometimes, many base ham radio may look similar, but they may vary greatly in terms of cost and quality, so choose wisely when buying something new!
The material used to build it
You should also be aware of what materials are used in the production of the base ham radio, as this will help you to determine whether it’s durable or not. The material used to make the base ham radio can tell you a lot about its quality and durability. This is particularly important if you’re planning on using the base ham radio for a long period or if it will be used frequently. If you’re looking for something that lasts, then you need to consider the material it’s made from.
It is also a good idea to check out the brand of the base ham radio before making a purchase. Different brands have different quality standards depending on their manufacturing process and overall quality control measures. Best to choose from, brands with good reputations for quality products and excellent customer service.
Warranty and return policy
When buying base ham radio, ensure you know what kind of warranty or return policy the manufacturer or seller offers. A good warranty will give you peace of mind that if something goes wrong with your purchase, you can get it fixed or replaced without any fuss or hassle. Look for companies with solid customer service who will work with you if there are any problems with your purchase to resolve them as quickly as possible without making things difficult for you. Look for companies that offer a return policy so that if you are unsatisfied with the product, you can send it back and get your money back.